the Welsh village (was: the New England lake)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Apr 23 23:51:53 UTC 2009

I was indeed.  Thanks much!  I hadn't thought of that town name in
ages.  I remember a version of the railway sign without the
quasi-phonetic rendering or the powerlines overhead, but on the other
hand I'd never heard it pronounced with a South Welsh or any other
accent, and I'd never seen it rendered in IPA, so thanks to Kari for
the link to the wiki-site and thanks also to whoever put it up there.

LH, remembering that The Book of Amazing Facts claimed locals often
just called it "Llanfair" for short, but maybe that's now considered
unpatriotic.