"In event of moon disaster" and other speeches our presidents never gave

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun Apr 26 20:26:40 UTC 2009

Dennis Baron wrote:

"... he resolved _always to have_ an extra speech handy ..."

Blessings upon him and his seed unto ages of of ages! He passed up a
chance to split an infinitive! He could have written:

"....*he resolved _to always have_ an extra speech handy ..."

I spend my entire life struggling to discover ways to avoid splitting
an infinitive and now you-all come talking about that it doesn't make
any difference and that it never really had made any difference, until
what is casually known as a "dead white guy" said so. Sigh!

-Wilson
–––
-----
-Mark Twain