Wiskinkie etymology --- (relevance for "skeezicks")

Gerald Cohen gcohen at MST.EDU
Sun Apr 26 22:03:18 UTC 2009

Stephen Goranson's information below that the person "Wiskinkie"
(sergeant-at-arms of the Tammany Society) derives from the Algonquin word
for "eye(s)" is very interesting.  I'm not sure just how "eye(s)" can
semantically become a person of some sort, but I see what may be a parallel
in the word "skeezicks" (rogue, rascal).

James Trumbull's _Natick Dictionnary_ (Natick is an Algonquin language)
Mention "skeezucks" = "eyes."  English "skeezicks" is of unknown origin, and
in my May 2008 Comments on Etymology treatment of this term (pp. 2-6) I
theorized that Algonquin  "skeezucks" (eye/eyes; face) may be the origin of
English "skeezicks" (rogue, rascal).  But the semantic development is not
yet clear. English "skeezicks," btw, is otherwise of unknown origin.

Goranson's new information provides another instance of an Algonquin word
for "eye(s)" (incidentally a variant of the same root that appears in
"skeezucks") coming to refer to a person.  The semantic development of
Algonquin "skeezucks" (eye/eyes; face) to English "skeezicks" (rogue,
rascal) is still not entirely clear, but at least we now see that the term
for eye(s) can in fact come to refer to a person.

       For Algonquian skeezucks and related forms see James Trumbull¹s
Natick Dictionary under muskêsuk, n. (p. 70):
(1) the eye
(2) the face, Ezek. 10, 14; nusk- kusk-, wuskesuk, my, thy, his face or eye.
Trumbull adds in brackets:
Narr. wuskéesuck (his) eye
Peq. skeezucks, eyes, Stiles
Muh. hkeesque, eye
Abn. ne-siseg8k, ma face; 8s- sa face; ne-tsísek8, mon oeil.
Chip. hkezh ig, skézh ig, eye, face.
Menom. maish kay shaick, eye; osh kag shayko (his) face.
Shawn. o skeès a kwèe (his) eye)
Del. wuschgink, (his) face, Zeisb.

Gerald Cohen