An African American proverb (?)

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Aug 3 08:29:13 UTC 2009

Agreed.  "put it" in running speech basically rhymes with "would it" in USA accent.  In truespel ~pood it~/~wood it~ or ~poo di'~/~wood i'~ if the "t" is glottalized, which I think it usually is in USA speech.  Not so much in UK.

In standard BBC text spelling - /puut it/ versus /wuud it/.  http://www.bbc.co.uk/commissioning/delivery/spelling.pdf

Truespel book 3 VOA dictionary recognizes these two "t" features (~d flap and glottalization) as alternative pronunciations of letter "t".  As far as I know, no other dictionary does so, and they should.

see truespel.com

> Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 00:12:13 -0400
> From: hwgray at GMAIL.COM
> Subject: Re: An African American proverb (?)
> To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

> Sender: American Dialect Society
> Poster: Wilson Gray
> Subject: Re: An African American proverb (?)
>
> "Allotted"> " 'lotted"> "lot" [lot:] ( is certainly a plausible
> analysis, given current ordinary pronunciations such as [pUt:] < "put
> it," [set:]> "set it." As for the final "get it," cf., e.g.
>
> a) Put it [pUt:] on the table
>
> but
>
> b) I told you where to put it [pUR.It]
>
> The /t/ of _put_ in (b) is a flap, usually, but I've forgotten WTF the
> symbol is! So, I'm using R for it.
>
> -Wilson
>

> On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 11:33 AM, Charles Doyle wrote:
>> Sender: American Dialect Society
>> Poster: Charles Doyle
>> Subject: An African American proverb (?)
>>
>> Several scholars have identified as a proverb the expression "What God got lot out for a man he'll get it."
>>
>> As found in the typescript of reminiscences by an ex-slave for the WPA Writers' Project of the late 1930s, the saying certainly looks as if it was being used proverbially. And the sense is (almost) clear; one scholar has paraphrased it, "If it's for you, you’ll get it."
>>
>> But what is the grammar of the sentence? Following the auxiliary "got," is that (apparent) verb "lot" a rare participle of "lay"--or what the transcriber actually heard for "laid"? Or is it a contraction of "allotted" or some other verb based on "lot" in the sense of 'destiny'?
>>
>> We should remember, of course, that the transcribers employed for the project were not necessarily well trained for the task--and they were also capable of typos!
>>
>> Any opinions (or guesses) will be welcome.
>>
>> --Charlie

> --
> -Wilson
> –––