another fake quote

John Patrick email1 at FOLKLORE.MS
Fri Aug 7 16:51:28 UTC 2009

Jonathan Lighter writes:

 > "The Marines I have seen around the world have
 > the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the
 > highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group
 > of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the
 > United States Marine Corps!"

<snip>
 > The passage seems to have appeared in 2002/03.

One can find it attributed to Eleanor Roosevelt in Edward C. Raymer's
1996 book _Descent into Darkness_.  The the author says that Elanor
Roosevelt said this of SAILORS.  Specificly that sailors "Have the
cleanest bodies and the dirtiest minds in the world".  See here:

*http://tinyurl.com/muf5x5

Another 1997 variant but attributed to marines:*

"the owner of the Club Oro, in Olongapo, P.I. told me that Marines have
the *cleanest bodies* and dirtiest minds of all the G.I.'s "

See here:  *http://tinyurl.com/nfm8re

*

.