how to say this?

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Aug 9 15:36:13 UTC 2009

Once again you're using reason when people's diction and prejudice have very
little to do with it.

What makes you think that the person who framed the question could not have
framed it on the basis of semantic dissonance?

We live in a world where "moist" is now regarded as offensive, and where at
least one linguist explains it by the presence of /oy/. Or so it is
reported.

Let's not forget the students who write "thats" instead of the "whose" in
relation to an inanimate object "because 'who' is only for people."

In that cultural context, some semantic dissonance between the two senses of
"party" - to the extent that the inquirer would not apply "party" to lone
diner - seems plausible to me.

JL