More on "moist"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Aug 9 17:25:47 UTC 2009

Even if you think "moist" is somehow icky, it is self-evidently _far_ less
so than other words Ben mentions.

As Wilson says, adfolk have been using "moist" forever, or at least
since "Dream of the Rood."

Surely they'd have found a synonym long ago if they'd had any inkling that
there was  prejudice against "moist."

Why no inkling?  I go with the the theory (borrowed from a post last year,
unless it was me, in which case I take full credit) that the ickiness of
"moist" is metalinguistic folklore. Once having gained a toehold
in circulation, it has led to that magical combination of acclaim ("Wow! I
never thought of that!"),  inadvertent "endorsement" ("I don't believe it,
but I'll ask X !  He/she will know!/ be amused!/ pass it on!"), and virality
("People are saying it online! It's gotta be important/true!") that leads to
language change, all while bringing the Apocalypse just that much nearer.

JL