M*A*S*H (was Re: More on "moist")

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Aug 10 02:59:26 UTC 2009

The Army acronym never involved asterisks. Nor did the title of the 1968
novel by "Richard Hooker" on which the movie was based.

Asterisks may have been added in the 1970 paperback reprints - can't recall
for sure.  The 1997 printing, the cover of which is visible at Google Books,
lacks them.

If memory serves, the newspaper ads and theatrical posters, all (?) of which
included the
asterisks, bore the explanatory footnote,   " *Mobile Army Surgical
Hospital."  That's what the asterisks were there for.

JL