caron in 1978 and 1967

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Aug 10 15:47:44 UTC 2009

Randy, are you suggesting that Ishida's IPA Character Picker
antedates the 1967 of the U.S> Style Manual?  Or that IPA itself
called this symbol "caron" before 1967?

Or rather that this is an additional sense/use for "caron"?  Ishida
calls it "combining caron" (but in the "latin character picker" of
his "Unicode character pickers" he also calls it "combining caron" --
at least when appearing alone, and not with some letter, when he
calls it just "caron").

(And as I wrote previously, "caron" has been used in the terminology
of ISO character set standards -- thus specifically to refer to the
accent mark, not to a proofreader's symbol -- since at least 1978.)