waxing_____________?

Neal Whitman nwhitman at AMERITECH.NET
Tue Aug 11 03:08:28 UTC 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Victor Steinbok" <aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM>
To: <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Sent: Monday, August 10, 2009 6:34 PM
Subject: Re: waxing_____________?

> But going back to Whitman's post (first link -way- below), he points to
> a shift from "wax poetic" et al. to "wax poetically" et al. to, quite
> shockingly "poetically was" et al. with the corresponding shift from
> "grow" meaning to "communicate". That's aside from the "waxing on" bit,
> as that earned a separate post (as a follow-up).
>
> But, not so fast! Googling up "nostalgically waxing" from Whitman's link
> gives 1) the link to the post itself, 2) link to "nostalgically waxing
> on"--which properly belonged to Whitman's second post, and 3)
> "nostalgically waxing lyrically", which is the animal of a different
> sort that I wanted to bring up (in fact, even before following Whitman's
> link I wondered how many hits would look like that).

That's weird. I re-Googled the phrase myself just now, and got 128 hits --
whittled down to 22 when I actually clicked on the last page of results --
and none of them were from my blog. I did find things like:

The speech portion of the festivities were closed by a nostalgically-waxing
Jerry Stiller, best known to modern audiences as the inventor of ...
http://thedailycrosshatch.com/2008/03/06/more-old-jewish-comedians-book-release/

... of them nostalgically waxing lyrical about their peeps in Chinatown;
whilst the 3 of us just rolled our eyes wanting to head back south to
Disneyland, ...
http://www.travelblog.org/Bloggers/HangLiPoh/

This morning I found myself thinking back to the events that transpired on
Tuesday, and nostalgically waxing about that historic day three years.
http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2008/11/07/what-a-long-strange-week-its-been/

Neal Whitman
Email: nwhitman at ameritech.net
Blog: http://literalminded.wordpress.com