slang

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Aug 11 04:55:04 UTC 2009

The official Latin of the Catholic Church was already barbarized at
the beginning, WRT to the Classical tongue, and has continued to be
"barbarized" or modernized over the centuries.

-Wilson Gray,
representing Saint Louis University High School
1st place
Jesuit Interscholastic Latin Contest (concerned solely with the
contemporary official Latin of the RCCh)
Missouri Province/Wisconsin Vice-Province
17th place
North-American Assistancy
Society of Jesus
1954

On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 11:15 PM, Victor Steinbok<aardvark66 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Victor Steinbok <aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM>
> Subject:      slang
>
> An interesting quotation from Rich Cohen's Israel is Real:
>
> “Now the Jews have returned their holy idea to the street, where, as is
> happening with the Hebrew language, it has been barbarized and filled
> with slang.”
>
> Not having read the book (I got the line from a review), I don't want to
> deal with the underlying political issue, but the idea that "the Hebrew
> language" has been somehow "barbarized and filled with slang" [because
> of the formation of Israel] sounds silly, to put it mildly.
>
> I suppose, a nation of Catholic priests and Classics professors might
> have the same reaction should someone invent a modern form of Latin as
> the primary language for a yet-to-be-founded new Italian state. I am
> just having a hard time wrapping my mind around the idea. And all this
> time I thought I was a purist!
>
> VS-)

-Wilson
–––