Q: "It's" as the possessive?

Arnold Zwicky zwicky at STANFORD.EDU
Tue Aug 11 21:45:54 UTC 2009

On Aug 11, 2009, at 12:13 PM, you wrote:

> Arnold, can you give me fuller citations?  And are these dictionaries
> (which might admit anything), or grammers (which might proscribe
> some things)?

joel, this is incredibly irritating.  you should have MWDEU and you
should consult it.

this one time -- and never again -- i will type in items from MWDEU's
bibliography.  i am not your fuckin' research assistant.  learn to use
the resources.

all of the following are [prescriptive] grammars.

Lowth, Robert. 1762. A Short Introduction to the English Grammar.
London.

Baker, Robert. 1770. Reflections on the English Language, London.

Baker, Robert. 1779. Remarks on the English Language. London.

Murray, Lindley. 1795. English Grammar Adapted to the Different
Classes of Learners. York.

arnold