Antedating of "Racism"

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Wed Aug 12 10:55:06 UTC 2009

The newly drafted entry for _racism_ in the OED has a first use dated 1933.

In 2004 I posted an earlier citation to ADS-L:

1928 Herbert W. Schneider _Making the Fascist State_ 166  The intimate alliance between national syndicalism and racism became evident.

It may be that the explanation is that I got this citation from Google Books and the OED checked the original book and found that Google Books had misdated it or had some other problem.  If that is the case, here is another antedating:

1932 _Christian Science Monitor_ 21 Oct. 8 (ProQuest Historical Newspapers)  It is altgether inaccurate to suggest that Europe is being indoctrinated with Fascism or Racism.

Fred Shapiro
Editor
Yale Book of Quotations (Yale University Press)