Help wanted: Scottish dialect

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Wed Aug 12 19:50:32 UTC 2009

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 03:38:38PM -0400, Paul Johnston wrote:

> By the way, Robert Duvall did an excellent Glaswegian accent in the
> film "A Shot at Glory".  Scottish football bloggers panned it, but to
> me, he sounded very authentic.  I  thought he was truer to his
> character's speech than most of the ((Scottish!) actors in
> Trainspotting--all except Begbie, the real "heidbanger" sounded too
> upscale for whom they represented.

Actually, Jonny Lee Miller, who played Sick Boy, is English
(and was formerly married to Angelina Jolie, trivia
buffs!). He also played the Scot Graeme Obree in _The Flying
Scotsman_, with a terrific accent, and I've seen him in some
TV thing where he played an American with a completely
authentic accent.

Jesse Sheidlower
OED