Why Is Dick a nickname for Richard

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Aug 13 18:33:46 UTC 2009

Short answer:

When English grammarians began to describe language sounds - during the 17th
C.- they insisted that R at the beginning of a word had quite a rough sound
which it didn't usually have elsewhere in words.

But written records as far back as around 1300 show that some writers had
already begun misspelling Old English words by dropping some Rs, especially
at the end or sometimes in the middle of words. Anyone sufficiently educated
to write and spell at all would have kept the Rs in spelling unless they
had already faded to nothing in those speakers' experience. (Cf. arse/ass:
originally the same word, with the R in the middle.)  Initial Rs, however,
were *not* disappearing.

This R-dropping became increasingly general, but in Scotland and Ireland,
where speakers of English showed up - unwanted - much earlier, the Rs didn't
drop nearly as much.  So the Scots and Irish speakers of English were
adhering far more faithfully to the old pronunciations of R.  They're still
doing so, and initial Rs in those countries generally remain
rougher-sounding than anywhere in England, or the U.S.

To sum up:

1. The earliest English phoneticians (17th C.)  took it that the "rough" R
was normal at the beginning of words - like "Richard."

2. Since non-initial Rs had been fitfully eroding in England for centuries,
to nearly zero at the end of many words, the drift must have been from
"rough" (or "trilled") to "a lot less rough" (like most American Rs) to
"next to nothing" (as in London, Boston, and old Charleston).  No other
sequence makes sense in light of the original existence of R in ancient
spellings.

Therefore, they rolled their Rs a whole lot more in the Middle Ages, thus
encouraging babies named named "Richard" to wind up also as "Dick."

Remember that this the "short version."  There's more evidence, but I don't
feel sufficiently well informed to go into it.

Ffor the benefit of the original questioner, I should also have mentioned
that Sean Connery is a famous old-time actor who used to play a Scottish
spy. He even rolled the R in the word SMERSH.  If you're still out there,
your parents may remember him from when they were small.

JL