crosspost from LinguistList on kissing in texts

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Aug 13 19:21:19 UTC 2009

At 2:45 PM -0400 8/13/09, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>  >> ...research apprentice<<
>
>Wow, like Harry Potter!  I thought that was just a story!  Here they're
>called "assistants" or maybe "interns"
>
>>>Is there a general consensus on where kissing originated from<<
>
>Garden of Eden, possibly, but the venue soon changed.
>
>Am impressed that you can take the XXX representation of kisses as far back
>as 1763, which I now realize is further back than my personal experience
>(1950s).  What is that 1763 source?  (I do know that my grandmother, a lady
>from the Mauve Decade in the Big Apple, seemed to remember the practice from
>her childhood.)
>
>Also from childhood, I assumed that each "X" was supposed to represent a
>puckered pair of lips, but that may be too fanciful.  (Or maybe XXX
>represents some kind of rating. Were they originally confined to love
>letters?)

Well, remember too the O's for hugs, usu. in a one-to-one
correspondence with the X's, as in XOXOXO or XXXOOO.  Maybe all the
kissing and hugging originated as a meager substitute after the ban
on Tic-Tac-Toe.

LH