Why Is Dick a nickname for Richard

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Aug 14 14:16:22 UTC 2009

>>   I don't know if you can push the "ease of pronunciation" argument too
far.  For starters, note that Rick, Rob, Will, and Ed are all found.<<

Not all Dark Ages tots found the pronuciation of "Richard," etc.  equally
difficult. And not every Medieval mom encouraged the mispronunciations
equally.

JL

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 9:29 PM, Baker, John <JMB at stradley.com> wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Baker, John" <JMB at STRADLEY.COM>
> Subject:      Re: Why Is Dick a nickname for Richard

>        I thought that there were more than these four examples
> (including Hob/Robert), but these are all that immediately come to mind.
> For what it's worth, all of the given names are disyllabic, have the
> accent on the first syllable (as is common with names in English), and
> do not begin with plosives, while all of the nicknames are monosyllabic
> and (except for Hob, which is less commonly used) do begin with
> plosives.
>

> John Baker

"There You Go Again...Using Reason on the Planet of the Duck-Billed
Platypus"