More on "moist"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Aug 16 03:09:49 UTC 2009

Just so future ages (if any) be not misled about the history of humor.

In 1974-75 my next-door neighbor observed that a girl who'd "had a good time
on a date" could tell by flinging her panties against the wall. If they
stuck, she'd had a good time.

The word "moist" was not mentioned, IIRC.  As old-timey grammarians say, it
was "understood."

(I guess this joke is sexist. Wouldn't she just know, like, in her mind?  I
mean, without messing up the wall and stuff?)

JL

On Sat, Aug 15, 2009 at 8:53 PM, George Thompson <george.thompson at nyu.edu>wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       George Thompson <george.thompson at NYU.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: More on "moist"

> Remembrance of Things Past:
> from Wilson,  November, 2007:
> Heard on "Comedy Channel":
>
> "[A consequence of growing up as a Catholic girl is that] I developed
> a thing for Jewish men. Every time I see a yarmulke, I get _moist_."

> The Columbia U. radio station in the 90s and before, carried an opera show
> hosted by Stefan Zucker, (slightly more demented than the average
> opera-lover -- in his younger years he indeed used to bill himself as Stefan
> the Mad).  He would take telephone calls from his listeners and relay the
> gist to his audience.  One day a woman who was president of a Jose Carreras
> fan-club called with the observation that she could always tell when a
> recording was by Carreras, because after hearing it, if she were to toss her
> panties into the air, they would stick to the ceiling.
>
> Don't try this at home.
>
> I thank my wife for refreshing my memory of this.
>
> GAT
>
> George A. Thompson
> Author of A Documentary History of "The African Theatre", Northwestern
> Univ. Pr., 1998, but nothing much lately.

"There You Go Again...Using Reason on the Planet of the Duck-Billed
Platypus"