feeble position

M Covarrubias mcovarru at PURDUE.EDU
Mon Aug 17 02:11:38 UTC 2009

On Aug 16, 2009, at 9:19 PM, Chris Waigl wrote:

> On 17 Aug 2009, at 01:46, Laurence Horn wrote:
>
>> And at least some of the many hits for "(in a) futile position" seem
>> to be eggcornish substitutions:
>>

> With Michael Covarrubias's "feudal", my doubt-level rises quite a bit
> -- what about the meaning of "feudal" would lend sense to "feudal
> position"? Maybe the writer just didn't know how to spell "fetal" (but
> aimed for that word".
>
> "Futile" is more convincing, though I'd have to look at it further.
>
> I'll wait if this thread washes up more stuff and may add a note to
> the entry.
>
> Chris

gah! one for two.

i figured it was being reinterpreted as the position you get into if
you're losing a fight/feud. it doesn't really work considering what
"fighting position" would mean. doesn't capture the sense of weakness.

yes. 'futile' makes more sense. and since i only heard [fjudl] it may
have been my own eggcorn on 'futile'. sort of an egg shell?

michael