more Chinese-to-English translation fail(ure)

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Mon Aug 17 05:10:01 UTC 2009

--

Thanks. That seems about right for the "ceiling". I guess it's
(independently?) parallel to the derivation of English "ceiling" from

As for smallpox, I found this --

http://tinyurl.com/lm5c43

-- apparently an excerpt  from an early-modern-Chinese-medicine text
from 1830 with commentary (text on p. 177, footnotes on p. 181). The
name "tian-hua" for smallpox is said to refer to the lesions like "red
flowers" as one might expect. As for the "tian", note "tian-xing", here
glossed "heaven current" and equated to "epidemic", I guess based on a
belief that such diseases appear secondary to some disturbance in the
sky or heaven (or maybe depending on the season, i.e. the positions of
the stars?). Conceivably this is the source of the "tian"? [Quick
Web-Google shows this "tian-xing" today mostly in the name of contagious
conjunctivitis.]

-- Doug Wilson

**