[C18-L] Help with Latin translations

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Aug 17 14:17:01 UTC 2009

These look right to me, Joel, though I'm a little rusty on the syntax
of "usque."

In other words, I can't imagine any other meanings than what you've deduced.

JL

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 9:44 AM, Joel S. Berson <Berson at att.net> wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      [C18-L] Help with Latin translations

> I would appreciate comments on whether my translations of the
> following Latin phrases are sufficiently accurate.  Warning (or
> teaser) -- X-rated content follows.
>
> "penetratio corporis" = penetration of the body.
>
> "fricatio usque ad effusionem seminis" = friction resulting in
> emission of semen.
>
> "per modum concubitus" = in the manner of copulation.
>
> For the compulsive, these come from letters written in 1642 by
> "reverend elders" of the Plymouth Colony to Gov. Bellingham of
> Massachusetts, in response to his question about under what
> circumstances acts of sodomy were capital offenses.  From William
> Bradford, _Of Plymouth Plantation_, ed. Samuel Eliot Morison (Knopf,
> 1952), pages 404 and 407.
>
> Thanks!
> Joel
>
> -:-:-:--:-:-:--:-:-:--:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-
>     To leave C18-L or adjust your subscription, click here:
>        http://lists.psu.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=C18-L&A=1
>                To search the C18-L Archives:
>             http://lists.psu.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=C18-L
>          Selected Readings, C18-L's online bibliography:
>       http://www.personal.psu.edu/special/C18/sr/sr.htm
>                    The C18-L Home Page:
>        http://www.personal.psu.edu/special/C18/c18-l.htm

"There You Go Again...Using Reason on the Planet of the Duck-Billed
Platypus"