Being inebriated; and a question

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Aug 17 14:30:27 UTC 2009

We can't.

I forget what proportion of Streeber's list I was able to document
independently;  it was significant but disappointing.

Much (most?) of which that hadn't been cited by OED in an earlier narrative
context, never appeared again.  (Though ISTR "stew'd" and "cockey'd" as
startling exceptions. If not on Streeber's, they were on one of those
related 18th C. lists.)

Look at this way.  You ask your freshmen to list words and phrases for
"drunk."  The do it and turn them in.  The only reason you asked was that
you thought the list
would be long and funny.  Then you publish whatever they turned in as "The
Drinkers' Dictionary."  There's nothing scientific, rigorous, or even very
lexicographic about. It's just fun.

I've given similar assignments.  The results are a hodgepodge, including, it
always seems, indiosyncratic wisecracks.

I think it would be a mistake simply to assume that these lists of synonyms
are any more methodical than that.  Why would they be?

JL