[C18-L] Help with Latin translations

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Aug 17 17:45:55 UTC 2009

At 8/17/2009 11:04 AM, Wilson Gray wrote:
>Definitely good enough for government work.

Gee thanks -- but I aim for a higher authority.  :-)

>Back in that day, _concubitus_ may have been thought of as "lying
>together" and not as "copulation," but that's just a WAG on my part.

Or at least generally written as "lying
together"  -- but in the 21st century I can be
less euphemistic.  (And of course the reason I'm
dealing with Latin is that the ministers used it
to avoid saying unclean things in
English.  Somewhat like the French of Dorothy
Sayers in one of the Lord Peter mysteries.)

>_Usque ad_ = "(all the way) up to," "even unto," like that.

Ditto.  "Resulting in" or "leading to" rather than some 17th-century phrasing.

Thanks,
Joel