a locus classicus for fronted "anymore"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Aug 19 01:30:39 UTC 2009

Just to repeat what I said long ago so newbies don't need to look it up...

When I first heard fronted _anymore_ ca1974-75, it was so weird sounding I
wasn't sure I could tell what it meant, no less use it myself.  It took me a
very long time to get used to.

Maybe it ws just me.

JL

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 9:14 PM, Tom Zurinskas <truespel at hotmail.com> wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Tom Zurinskas <truespel at HOTMAIL.COM>
> Subject:      Re: a locus classicus for fronted "anymore"

> If it were "The airlines don't want to take the risks anymore" that would
> be usual to my ears.  Moving anymore up front isn't such a big difference.
>  It still doesn't make it a positive I'd say because of the "don't".
>

> Tom Zurinskas, USA - CT20, TN3, NJ33, FL7+
> see truespel.com phonetic spelling

> -----------------------
> > Sender: American Dialect Society
> > Poster: Laurence Horn
> > Subject: Re: a locus classicus for fronted "anymore"

> >>Man that's weird to my Wisconsin ears. It makes my brain hurt just trying
> >>grasp it.
> >>
> >>Scot
> >
> > I'm surprised! I must have heard more positive (including fronted)
> > _anymore_s during the four years I lived in Wisconsin than I heard in
> > my other 60 years living in the Northeast and California. (Not
> > counting examples from linguistics papers.)
> >
> > LH

> >>The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org

> Hotmail® is up to 70% faster. Now good news travels really fast.
>
> http://windowslive.com/online/hotmail?ocid=PID23391::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:WM_HYGN_faster:082009

"There You Go Again...Using Reason on the Planet of the Duck-Billed
Platypus"