Oz--one f or two?

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Aug 20 04:09:19 UTC 2009

Because "of" is pronounced ~uv, "could've" can sound exactly like "could of".  No wonder some folks spell it as it sounds.

The spelling of the sound ~v would be regular by the letter "v" but for one word "of" where the letter "f" spells the sound of ~v. But "of" is a popular word and has a big affect.

Some of us may have seen the quiz to identify the number of "f"s in a written sentence.  Most of us miss the "f"s in the word "of".  This is interesting because our brain shifts to identifying the sound of f rather than the vision of the letter f right before our eyes.

see truespel.com phonetic spelling