Pickle

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Aug 21 13:25:37 UTC 2009

Garfield is on a dude ranch in this TV cartoon, and somebody says, "Care for
some burgers?"

Suddenly, in one of those fatal twists that make fact stranger than
fiction, there's a thundering stampede of maddened cattle.  Garfield thinks,
"Those burgers are *too rare*!"

Same principle.

JL

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 9:12 AM, Steve Kl. <stevekl at gmail.com> wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Steve Kl." <stevekl at GMAIL.COM>
> Subject:      Re: Pickle

> Thanks!
>
> My mom grew up in Chesaning (Saginaw County). I'm going to see if she has
> this.
>
> (Then again, she spoke Czech at home, not English, so she probably just
> called them *okurky*.)
>
> - Steve
>
> On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 8:43 AM, David Metevia <djmetevia at chartermi.net
> >wrote:

> > -----------------------
> > Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> > Poster:       David Metevia <djmetevia at CHARTERMI.NET>
> > Subject:      Re: Pickle

> > I live in the Tri City area (Midland, Bay City, Saginaw).  There are
> > many cucumber farms in northern Bay County, although the local
> > pickling plants are long gone.
> >
> > On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 8:21 AM, Steve Kl.<stevekl at gmail.com> wrote:
> > -----------------------
> > > Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> > > Poster:       "Steve Kl." <stevekl at GMAIL.COM>
> > > Subject:      Re: Pickle

> > > Out of curiosity, what part of Michigan are you from (I assume Michigan
> > > because of 'chartermi')?
> > > I grew up southwest of Flint, my grandparents were farmers. My father
> had
> > > huge garden and we grew tons of cukes, but I never heard any of them
> call
> > > small cucumbers pickles. Are you up near the Thumb? For some reason I
> > have a
> > > vague recollection that were large cucumber crops up that way, and I'm
> > > wondering if this is a term that people who deal with cucumbers in
> large
> > > quantities used.
> > >
> > > On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 8:03 AM, David Metevia <
> djmetevia at chartermi.net

"There You Go Again...Using Reason on the Planet of the Duck-Billed
Platypus"