locus classicus for fronted "anymore"

Sat Aug 22 16:57:55 UTC 2009

I think Larry is right about who will accept what, but I wonder if there
isn't a simpler explanation than "scope."

For me, "anymore" in all of these examples is synonymous with "these days"
and "nowadays." Is there anyone who would reject any of the following? My
instinct is no:

1. These days, the airlines are willing to take risks.
2. These days, the airlines are not willing to take risks.
3. The airlines are willing to take risks these days.
4. The airlines are not willing to take risks these days.

If "scope" issues prevent the use of "Anymore" in (1), why do "scope issues
not prevent the use of "These days" or "Nowadays" in (1)?

My hypothesis is just that items at the beginning part of the sentence are
more noticeable, so people who themselves do not use positive "anymore" are
more aware of it than when it comes at the end. I'm reminded of the fierce
rejection of attitudinal "Hopefully" among certain mid-20th-century
pedants--there it is at the beginning where it leaps out at them and is open to
interpretation as a sentence adverbial:

(5) Hopefully, the airlines are willing to take more risks than they used
to be.
(6) The airlines are willing to take more risks than they used to be,
hopefully.

Example (5) seems to me to be more likely to evoke mindless criticism than
(6).