"athletic" and schwa insertion

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Aug 29 23:21:47 UTC 2009

Surely, this feature is one that has been present in the speech of
millions of Americans of all races, creeds, colors, sexual
orientations, national origins, and political persuasions and,
perhaps, in that of native speakers of other varieties of English for
at least the past half-century.

-Wilson

On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 6:38 PM, Scot LaFaive<slafaive at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Scot LaFaive <slafaive at GMAIL.COM>
> Subject:      "athletic" and schwa insertion
>
> I found some mention of this in the archives but thought someone might be
> interested in knowing about another occurrence. After watching a few Packers
> games co-anchored by Rich Gannon (ex-Raiders quarterback and Philadelphia
> native), I've notice that his pronunciation of "athletic" always includes a
> schwa inserted between theta and L. Not sure about "athlete."
>
> Scot

-Wilson
–––
-----