floggings will continue until morale improves

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Tue Dec 8 00:23:13 UTC 2009

At 12/7/2009 05:46 PM, Wilson Gray wrote:
>At graduation in December, 1960, Language School-grads received thirty

I was sure Wilson was going to follow this with "lashes".  (A fairly
common number, and below the 40 -- or to be safe, 39 -- permitted by
Scripture.)

>days of leave and enough money to fly first-class to the ports of
>embarkation to their permanent duty stations.
>As it happens, unless you're *big* brass, all summer return voyages
>are aboard troopships. Cruising the North Atlantic in *July* requires
>the use of a trench coat over a field jacket, as the ship takes the
>Great Circle route north of Scotland. I'd hate to ponder what it must
>have been like in January.

Get a recording of "Action in the North Atlantic" (1943), with
Humphrey Bogart, Raymond Massey, Alan Hale, Julie Bishop, Ruth
Gordon, Sam Levene, Dane Clark, Peter Whitney, Dick Hogan.  Although
I don't remember whether the crossings are winter or summer.

Joel

\