Snasu (Situation normal: all screwed up) (1941 Aug 18) (early snafu variant)

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Tue Dec 8 07:06:32 UTC 2009

--

 >From this link:

<<They're khaki and match our uniforms and you keep the brim up when the
sun's out and down when it's raining.>>

This is "snafu" referring to a type of military hat. N'archive shows a
couple of other citations for "snafu" meaning "[a type of] hat" in
August 1941.

I suppose "snafu" here is likely a play on "snap-brim" ... likely
"snap-brim" altered to match pre-existing "SNAFU" in the modern sense or
so ... although other possibilities might be entertained ....

--
--

http://lloyd.emich.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0211E&L=ADS-L&P=R2

<<"Snafu" means "situation normal, all fuddled up.">>

-- Doug Wilson