whipping words

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Dec 10 19:15:30 UTC 2009

At 12:23 PM -0500 12/10/09, Garson O'Toole wrote:
>Laurence Horn wrote
>>  At 10:41 AM -0500 12/10/09, Joel S. Berson wrote:
>>>Can you rule out that it's the imperative?
>>
>>  I think we can given the intonation.
>
>The commercial is viewable on YouTube if you wish to see the
>intonation and the context:
>
>A Dominatrix Gets Crackin' with Pistachios Commercial
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdsAD-sSM4Y

Wonderful indeed.  Note too the other Get Crackin' series commercials
linked from here, with similar texts in bumper-stickerese, e.g.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1AmZWv4k5Y&feature=SeriesPlayList&p=AB77EBB3005EAA31
("Newlyweds do it five times a day")
...and the renowned geographer Miss South Carolina Teen USA even
takes her shot.

But the most impressive bit of information (via the interviews on
YouTube) is that the Dom in question, Dara Torres (not to be confused
with the Olympic silver-medalist swimmer of almost the same name)
really is a Dominatrix *and* really did crack open the pistachio with
her whip on the first try.

LH