penmanship = "authorial skill"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Dec 11 01:45:26 UTC 2009

Note that Dickens's use in 1844 is a deliberate pun, and that the OED had to
rely on Jeremy Bentham for not one but *two* cites. The second adds nothing
in the way of useful information about usage - a hint that cites of
"penmanship" in this sense are extremely rare.

Peter Lovesey's 1978 example - in a detective novel set in the 1880s - may
not be
a reliable guide to anything.

Surely Bentham wouldn't have used the word in this sense if it sounded as
illiterate
to him as the current example sounds to me.

But that was two hundred years ago, and this is now.

JL