Antedating Quote "history is written by the victor" (1919)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Dec 15 04:13:52 UTC 2009

NewspaperArchive turns up an early 1941 ex. of the exact words "History is
written by the victors" in a small-town New York State paper.  It does not
appear in the sententious context that would suggest that it was then a
recognized quotation.

Perhaps surprisingly, it doesn't become frequent until the '70s and
later.  Searches of the N.Y. Times, Washington Post, and Chicago Tribune
also come up dry until twenty-five to thirty years ago.

That must be roughly the time that it became a cliche' expression.

JL