Odd rhyme claim

Karl Hagen karl at POLYSYLLABIC.COM
Tue Dec 15 22:23:11 UTC 2009

I presume Hollander is talking about Emerson's poem "Ode to William H.
Channing", the first stanza of which reads

Though loth to grieve
The evil time's sole patriot,
I cannot leave
My buried thought
For the priest's cant,
Or statesman's rant.

He seems to be assuming the rhyme scheme is ababcc. The only problem is that the
poem as a whole does not have a regular rhyme scheme, and many of the stanzas
have unrhymed lines (or slant rhyme). So this is no good evidence for actual
rhyming in Emerson's day.