CATO -- acronym?

Randy Alexander strangeguitars at GMAIL.COM
Thu Dec 17 18:32:32 UTC 2009

I'm in Hong Kong away from my reliable sources, but I'm sure I have books
and magazines that document this: catastrophe on takeoff, in the field of
model rocketry.  I even had a model rocket called CATO, produced by Estes.
I'll try to remember to follow up on this, but if you don't hear from me in
a couple of days, please remind me.

Randy

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 11:02 PM, wordmall <wordmall at aol.com> wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       wordmall <wordmall at AOL.COM>
> Subject:      CATO  -- acronym?

> Model airplane clubs announce CATO! when a plane crashes. Some say it
> is an acronym (crash on takeoff, catastrophe on takeoff, etc.). Others
> say it is an abbreviation of CATastrOphe. Can anyone document a
> reliable source?
>
> Michael J. Sheehan

Randy Alexander
Jilin City, China