Say goodbye to the decade with no name

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sat Dec 19 17:11:18 UTC 2009

At 12/19/2009 03:26 AM, Seán Fitzpatrick wrote:
>Oh, yeah.  I forgot about Brel Volksmund.

He was quite popular in his time.

>But seriously, except for the "Roaring Twenties", no decadal epithet will
>get you accused of cliché/standard usage.

Even the "swinging sixties"??  201,000 Google
hits, and authoriry from Wikipedia's article
"1960s".  And have a little fun with "flashing
seventies" and "banging eighties" (including one
instance in Dutch).  Google gives one instance of
"whimpering nineties":  "In these the whimpering
nineties, eroding economic opportunity, crime and
moral muddle, the specter of uncanny disease, and
creeping ecological disaster have become the new
obsessions."  Perhaps taken from Brel.

Joel