OT: Dialexicon: map of US accents by county

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sat Dec 19 23:54:12 UTC 2009

At 12/19/2009 01:23 PM, Damien Hall wrote:
>It's also not clear to me why the particular items on the
>word-list have been chosen: why include _cheese_, for example?

It's a picture-phone, and [s]he wants to take one of you smiling ...
and [s]he will put it on a counterfeit U.S. passport, thus having an
expression that will not appear angry, at the same time that [s]he is
learning to imitate your genuine U.S. regional accent to accompany
the personal information [s]he has obtained from your call (your name
and county will assist in his/her obtaining additional information
about you) so that when [s]he is asked questions upon arrival by U.S.
customs agents not only will [s]he have plausible knowledge
consistent with where [s]he comes from but also his/her accent will
sound properly regional -- and then [s]he  will travel on to place the bomb.

(You can see that I'm idling on a Saturday evening while waiting for
the nor'easter to arrive at Boston.)

Joel