BrE/AmE "go missing"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Dec 21 00:32:07 UTC 2009

OTOH, for me, "go missing" is so British that I, possibly alone in the
U.S., somewhat pretentiously refuse to use it and "correct" those who
do. Once upon a time - ca.1950 - only Americans who were seriously
Anglophilic in some aspect of their lives were at all familiar with
this phrase.

-Wilson

On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 4:45 PM, Tony Au <todeau at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Tony Au <todeau at GMAIL.COM>
> Subject:      Re: BrE/AmE "go missing"
>
> Is "go missing" a relatively recent import? I didn't even know it was
> British. It seems totally unremarkable to me.
>
> Tony
>

> On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 3:28 PM, Robin Hamilton <
> robin.hamilton2 at btinternet.com> wrote:

>> -----------------------
>> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>> Poster:       Robin Hamilton <robin.hamilton2 at BTINTERNET.COM>
>> Subject:      Re: BrE/AmE "go missing"

>> > It happens around here all the tine.
>> >
>> > JL
>>
>> In my version of (British) English, when inanimate objects go missing, they
>> are commonly said to have gone walkabout.
>>
>> 154,000 google hits for the phrase, "It has gone walkabout."
>>
>> Robin

-Wilson
–––
–Mark Twain