Heard on NFL Blackhawks vs. Redwings

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Dec 24 05:54:33 UTC 2009

It's been mentioned already in the context of basketball, but generally,
it seems, "fast" refers to physical directional ability (running,
skating, etc. up and down the court) while "quick" refers more to
reaction time, such as quickly changing direction or providing a
defensive response to an offensive move. In a sense, "quick(ness)" is a
somewhat stationary concept while "fast"/"speed" are dynamic ones,
although both, obviously, involve motion. "Quick(ness)" has also been
used to describe mental acuity. But, consider, "He's quick to respond"
vs. "He responds fast" or "He has a fast response".

I believe, one person who has routinely used quick vs. fast in his
analysis was John Madden, so this kind of comment on athletic ability
has well over a decade of history (particularly in the N*F*L).

     VS-)