I before E except when it's not

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Dec 26 17:30:01 UTC 2009

At m-w.com the pronunciation of "blog" when the icon is clicked is "blahg (~blaag) however, the first phonetic spelling is "blawg" (~blaug). Not good.  I can't recall hearing ~blaug.

from m-w.com
Main Entry: blog
Pronunciation: \ˈblȯg, ˈbläg\

~blaug is apparently not British.  UK gives ~blug at thefreedictionary.com

Regards the rule - It's "i" before "e" for the sound of ~ee except after "c" -  It doesn't relate to word count because "ci" or "ce" have about an equal number.  But when you consider word frequency, it's double for "ce", especially because of the popularity of the word "receive" and its forms.  This was checked with word frequency data from Collins Cobuild.

Zurinskas, USA - CT20, TN3, NJ33, FL7+
see truespel.com phonetic spelling

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/177141665/direct/01/