Verbs and nouns of the decade in NYT

Damien Hall djh514 at YORK.AC.UK
Mon Dec 28 18:24:01 UTC 2009

Today's _New York Times_ has a diverting graphic summary of the decade
under various headings by Phillip Niemeyer:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2009/12/27/opinion/28opchart.html

It's in grid form: the columns are years from 2000 to 2009, and the rows
are categories representing trends ('It!', 'Newish', 'Fashion', etc, down
to 'Noun' and 'Verb'), such that there's one trend in each row per year.
I'm not sure exactly where the nouns and verbs for each year come from: a
quick Google reveals that they're not purely M-W, NOAD or Global Language
Monitor WOTYs, though some former WOTYs in some list appear in this list
for another year (eg M-W's #1 WOTY for 2004 was 'blog', which is Verb of
the Year for 2007 in this graphic), and some former WOTYs in some list
appear in a different category in this list (eg the Global Language
Monitor's #3 WOTY for 2009 was 'H1N1', which is this graphic's Fear of the
Year for 2009).

I'm not sure it matters enough for me to have spent the last ten minutes in
Wikipedia researching it but, hey, it's the Christmas holidays ...

Damien

--
Damien Hall

University of York
Department of Language and Linguistic Science
Heslington
YORK
YO10 5DD
UK

Tel. (office) +44 (0)1904 432665
     (mobile) +44 (0)771 853 5634
Fax  +44 (0)1904 432673

BORDERS AND IDENTITIES CONFERENCE, JAN 2010:
http://www.york.ac.uk/res/aiseb/bic2010/

http://www.york.ac.uk/depts/lang/people/pages/hall.htm