How collaborative is the OED? (UNCLASSIFIED)

Mon Dec 28 22:28:36 UTC 2009

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

When the OED SF project was announced, I remember seeing some bitching
on places like Slashdot that while the process was to be collaborative,
the results weren't.

That is, the way the OED and the SF Project requested help was similar
to the model of open-source software, but the result (at least for the
OED as a whole) was behind a pay-wall.

I think Urbandictionary is a good example of a dictionary that follows
that model.  There's a lot of useful info in there, but without a
skilled editor (which requires money and therefore a pay wall), there is
also a bunch of junk.