in/on the cards

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Wed Dec 30 14:04:55 UTC 2009

"On the cards" made me think of tarot, as your
British friend found.  One's fortune would be
found on the cards, not in the cards.  And the
values (points) as used in card games also are "on [the face of] the cards]".

The OED has:
"card", n2, sense 2.e, "on the cards, {dag} out
of the cards: within (or outside) the range of
probability."  With about 4 quotations there for
"on..." from 1849 (Dickens) to 1868 (perhaps the last time it was looked at).

And there appear to be about a half-dozen
quotations for this sense under other words, from
1970 through 2008.  They're from British
publications, I think.  (One is from "Hindu", via Nexis.)

Joel