"dungarees"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Feb 2 19:32:14 UTC 2009

My entire family back to my grandparents used this word - I'm tempted to say
exclusively.  In fact, I used to use it too.  That's three generations of
NYC natives, as far back as the 1890s.

U.S. naval and merchant sailors have worn "dungarees" at work (outside of
office jobs) since before the Civil War.  The coveralls that replaced the
two-piece work uniform are still called dungarees.

In fact, while "jeans" is now undoubtedly more common, I'm amazed at the
suggestion that most Americans may not know what "dungarees" are.

JL