"dungarees"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Feb 3 15:12:55 UTC 2009

Now that I think about it, I'd still be likely to call these work garments
"dungarees" rather than "jeans" - if I was trying to be precise.  The other
term I've heard (from about 1979, when a grad student friend began affecting
them) is "biballs" ( short form "bibs").  For some reason "biballs" doesn't
appeal to me.  I suppose the coiner of "biballs " wanted to distinguish them
from the single-garment "overalls."

And unless I'm crazy, in my childhood I even heard ordinary blue denim
trousers as well as ordinary corduroy trousers, as worn by tykes anyway,
referred to as "overalls."  And yes, "blue jeans" is still my default term
for "jeans," though I do say both.

JL