Dungarees

Janet Marting marting at UAKRON.EDU
Tue Feb 3 20:24:08 UTC 2009

As someone born and reared in Vermont (in the 50s and 60s), I grew up
calling denim pants "dungarees."  When I moved to Colorado for grad school
in the mid-70s and tried to buy a pair in the stores, no one knew what I was
talking about.  In grad school (in Michigan) later in the 70s and 80s, the
term was Levis or jeans.  My students claim they don't have a specific word
for the article of clothing, despite most of the students wearing Levi's,
jeans, dungarees, denims--call them what you will.

Jinny Marting
University of Akron