Fwd: Re: "(c)overalls" (was: "dungarees")

Damien Hall djh514 at YORK.AC.UK
Tue Feb 3 22:42:19 UTC 2009

>From Carter Rila.

I've received a _lot_ of replies to my 'dungarees' message today, most of
which I think were intended to go to the whole list (so I'm forwarding them
there). It must be because our administrator has just asked us to specify
our actual e-mail address in the Reply-To: field ...

Damien

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 13:51:08 -0800 (PST)
From: Carter Rila <elcutachero at yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: "(c)overalls" (was: "dungarees")
To: djh514 at york.ac.uk

Overalls in the US Army were adopted for the use of tank troops in so-called "mechanized"
units. There is a plate in the US Army historical series showing the clothing just before coveralls were introduced.
http://www.history.army.mil/html/artphoto/pripos/amsoldier3b.html
 Coveralls were made of HBT cloth and were sized to wear over the service uniform of shirt and trousers either wool OD or cotton khaki. (c.f.)
Steam locomotive engine crews habitually wore bib overalls while the conductor (center) and the train crew wore various garb. This is a typical freight train crew in the fist quarter of the 20th Century.
http://www.worldofstock.com/closeups/VIN1201.php