Fw: [ADS-L] Can a have an A, men?

Jocelyn Limpert jocelyn.limpert at GMAIL.COM
Thu Feb 5 03:49:30 UTC 2009

I think that in the case of our current president something else was taking
place -- that is, not that he was mispronouncing "an" as "a."

His using "a" with "educational" and other words beginning with a vowel
would happen when he said "a" and followed it with a pause, seemingly
thinking about what he was going to say next. Then, something would follow
that started with a vowel sound, but only after the pause.

If he was not pausing, he would say "an," as in "an educational."

The "problem," as I clearly heard it, was always related to the pause,
something that people often do, shifting their speech after a pause from one
thought to another -- as in following a singular verb and a pause with a
plural direct object.

I think the pause in the president's speech is the important element, as he
usually would say either "a [pause] educational" or "an educational."