Naomi: how is it pronounced?

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Feb 7 22:32:32 UTC 2009

Wils: Why are they (Cleveland) pronouncing it that way?

Wife (Wilkes-Barre): What way?

Wils: [naj 'o mi].

Wife: That's the right way. Why? What do you think it is?

Wils: "Think"? I *know* that it's [nej 'o mi].

Wife: I've never heard it pronounced that way before, in my life.

Wils: Well, I've heard [naj 'o mi] before, here and there. But, of
course, the correct pronunciation is [nej 'o mi].

Wife: You're just messing with me, right? N-A-O-M-I? It's [naj 'o mi].
Nobody says [nej 'o mi].

Etc.
.
.
.
Wife (changing subject): By the way, I've told you that I always have
breakfast at the office, anymore, heyna?

This caught me by complete surprise. I'd never heard her use positive
"anymore" or "heyna" in unmonitored speech, before. Like me, she
normally uses the home dialect only jokingly. Well, once, I seriously
did start to write "since" for "sense," once, here on the listserve.

Last (spoken) line of a blues about horse-racing:

I must have done lost all of my [sInts]. And when I say [sints], I
don't mean S-E-[In]-S-E. I mean C-E-[In]-T-S.

-Wilson
–––
-----
-Mark Twain