Heard on The Judges: "bartend(e)ress"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Feb 9 01:31:21 UTC 2009

At 7:56 PM -0500 2/8/09, Mark Mandel wrote:
>That one doesn't even pretend to be merely a sex marker; "-let" is a
>diminutive from the get-go. What's interesting about "starlet" in this
>context is that it's always female in reference. -- Which, come to
>think of it, may have been your point to begin with.
>
>Mark Mandel

Maybe influenced by the feminine diminutive -ette, as in "majorette"
or "usherette", although the spelling and stress pattern are
different.  (I know there's been a reanalysis there, since a
"cigarette" isn't necessarily a small female cigar, but when appended
to a human-denoting noun, it does seem to be sex-restricted.)

LH